Recipe of the Week: Margarita Chicken
A fresh and light dish perfect for summer.
This fresh and light dish, flavored with limes, chile and a splash of tequila, is perfect for summer entertaining. The chicken is wonderful served hot off the grill, but it also tastes great cold or at room temperature, sliced and tossed into a salad of mixed baby lettuces. I often double the recipe so I have plenty of leftovers, assuring me delicious lunches in the days to come. Make sure you use freshly squeezed lime juice, which has a much better flavor than the bottled kind.
Yield 6-8 servings
Hands-on Time: 5 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 15 mins
Ready in: 1 hour 20 mins
- zest from one lime
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice, from about 4 limes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tequila, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 6-8
- 8 meringue cookies
- Place all ingredients, except for the chicken, in a gallon-sized zip top plastic bag. Squish to combine. Add chicken, seal bag, and turn to coat. Refrigerate for one hour or overnight.
- Coat grill pan (or grill) with cooking spray. Heat pan (or grill) to medium-high. Cook chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side, turning breast a quarter turn after two minutes if cross hatch marks are desired. Serve immediately.